Best DJ Earplugs to Buy in 2021
Constant exposure to loud music is one of the most dangerous aspects of being a DJ. Being in a loud environment (80dB+) for hours on end can cause serious problems: from temporary discomfort to tinnitus and even permanent hearing loss. That’s why every DJ needs to have a pair of good quality earplugs in their kit – to protect their hearing, which is the most important ‘tool’ for a DJ.
You might be wondering if earplugs don’t limit your ability to hear the music in the venue, or the person next to you. The general answer is no, they don’t, as most club earplugs are designed to only filter out the dangerous frequencies, while still letting you hear the music. What’s more, some ‘smart’ earplugs are able to emphasize very soft sounds, like someone asking you a question in the club, letting you hear them better and facilitating the conversation. With this out of the way, let’s take a look at our top recommendations in terms of club earplugs:
Table of Contents
1. EarSymphony Noise Cancelling Earplugs
- 20dB noise reduction
- Made for comfort and long wear times
- Perfect for DJs
- Designed to feel comfortable but not fall out unless pulled
- Fits all ear shapes
Reducing the dB rating of your surroundings by 20dB, these are hands down our top pick for all DJs and concert-goers alike.
These EarSymphony noise cancelling earplugs are highly rated and come in 6 different colors.
They fit really well into our ears when we tested them, they didn’t fall out once.
These earplugs are also completely waterproof so you don’t need to worry about sweat or drenching them in a pool.
When we tested this pair, it was the best performer when it came to hearing audio with the least amount of distortion, giving great protection without compromising sound quality. These are great for listening to music, such as concerts or live performances as well as any sort of sound that you’d like to listen to, just not as loudly.
2. Soft Silicone ‘3 Layered’ Earplugs
- Made for comfort and long wear times
- Perfect for DJs
- Designed to feel comfortable but not fall out unless pulled
- Fits all ear shapes
Silicone earplugs are generally considered to be more comfortable than foam ones when it comes to frequency filtering. There are many people who prefer silicone earplugs to foam as they are far more comfortable, especially over longer periods of time. This pair could work well for construction work, motorcycling, and other loud activities/environments where you don’t want to hear the noises around you.
If you have very sensitive ears, you should probably stick with silicone earplugs.
3. EarDial Ear Plugs
- HIGH FIDELITY, PRECISE NOISE FILTRATION: Hear the music and chat with your friends while protecting yourself from harmful sound decibels.
- LOW-PROFILE DESIGN, HIGH TRANSPARENCY: Almost invisible when you put them in your ears, no matter your skin color.
- SOFT HYPOALLERGENIC SILICONE: Wear them comfortably for long hours, even for the most sensitive, with exclusive earwax protection.
- COMPACT ALUMINIUM CASE: Easy to store, take out, and carry around at all times. Optional luminescent sticker to find in the dark included.
The EarDials are one of the most popular club-grade earplugs available on the market right now. They have a number of advantages compared to most alternatives. For one, they are incredibly small, which makes them virtually invisible in the wearer’s ear. They are made from soft silicone, which is hypoallergenic and resistant to earwax, keeping your plugs clean and functional for a long time. Grace to the small size and soft material, they’re also very comfortable to wear, even for several hours.
What’s more, this model has a complementary mobile app you can use to detect the sound volume in the venue and find out how long you can stay safe in that environment while wearing your EarDials.
The EarDial Ear Plugs come with a small aluminum case that can be attached to your wallet, keys, or even clothes so that you can always have the earplugs with you.
4. LiveMus!c HearSafe Ear Plugs
- QUIET DOWN – Loud noises hurt hearing over time. Reduce damaging decibels while allowing clearer, quieter sound through HearGreat, high-fidelity reusable ear plugs by LiveMusic.
- 2 PAIRS, 1 PACK – Not all noise requires the same reduction. That’s why your concert earplugs come in pairs of 2! The red pair provides high, 27-dB protection while the green protects at 21 dB.
- PROTECTION FOR ANY EVENT – From concerts to construction, your noise reduction ear plugs work for any occasion. They supply security for musicians, motorcyclists, DJs, light sleepers, and more!
- AROUND-THE-CLOCK COMFORT – Irritating earplugs for sleeping leave you itching to remove them. Stay comfy for hours with LiveMusic plugs featuring soft silicone, triple-flange design, and cone tip.
The LiveMus!c HearSafe Ear Plugs are probably your best bet when it comes to DJ earplugs in the mid-priced range. Why? Simply because they offer the best sound isolation on the market! LifeMus!c’s earplug kit includes two pairs of plugs, each with a different filter – one with 23dB NRR (noise reduction ratio), and one with 29dB NRR. 29dB is the highest NRR you can find in club-grade earplugs, and it is the best for protecting your ears against blaring monitors. The 23dB plugs are more suitable for quieter environments, like outdoor music festivals, where you’re not necessarily within 10 feet from the speakers. Despite the high NRR, LiveMus!c earplugs don’t muffle the sound like foam plugs do, grace to the special silicone filter.
The LiveMus!c HearSafe Ear Plugs claim to last up to 12 months with minimum maintenance, and come with a cord as well as a case for easier wear and carrying around.
5. EarPeace HD Concert Ear Plugs
- High Fidelity Ear Plugs deliver clear & crisp sound at a safe volume. Hear and communicate clearly. No ringing ears.
- Comfortable & Discreet – Ultra-soft, hypoallergenic, reusable ear plugs are made of soft silicone and designed to be worn for hours without discomfort. Nearly invisible in your ear.
- Everyday Carry – Be ready for anything. Earplugs for concerts and daily use. Reduce noise sensitivity at the gym, while you travel or commute and in loud venues like stadiums, bars and clubs. Peace and quiet for studying, focusing, and meditation.
- Three (3) levels of noise reduction filters, two (2) ear plug sizes for the perfect fit. Set includes: Aluminum case. Three (3) filter sets in Medium, High, and Max for noise reduction up to 26dB. One set of Small and one set of Medium silicone earplugs.
EarPeace is one of the most reputable brands when it comes to DJ earplugs. Their kit includes three pairs of plugs with different filters for various situations. Labeled Medium, High, and Max, EarPeace plugs offer protection up to 20dB. Granted, they are not as effective as the 29dB ones, but they’re still good enough for regular club or festival use. The filters undergo a 4-step manufacturing process, making sure the frequencies are evenly attenuated for a realistic sound experience. Another advantage of this model is its design – the earplugs are made of flesh-colored silicone (4 shades available), so that they are almost unnoticeable when worn. The plugs also come with an aluminium case you can attach to your keychain to make sure you don’t lose them or forget them at home.
6. Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs
- FIRST CLASS HEARING PROTECTION - Our High Fidelity Earplugs protect your ears from harmful noise levels while still allowing you to clearly hear your surroundings. Get up to 21 dB of noise reduction (NRR 16 dB) so that you can do more of what you love while minimizing the risk of noise induced hearing loss, tinnitus, and anxiety.
- PRISTINE SOUND QUALITY - Our innovative attenuation filters allow you to hear the world around you, just at a lower volume. Reduces noise evenly to maintain the full spectrum of sound while protecting hearing. Great for toning down noise levels in loud environments to reduce anxiety and for safely listening to live music with clarity.
- PERFECT FIT GUARANTEE - Two pairs of different sized earplug shells made from hypoallergenic silicone are included with every unit. Fits most normal to large ear sizes. Individuals with smaller ear canals may want to consider our Smaller Ears Earplugs model. Contact Eargasm support with any fit issues and we’ll be sure to make things right!
- WATERPROOF ALUMINUM CASE - Never be without your earplugs again by using the included sturdy metal case with a waterproof rubber seal. Our compact case allows for safe and easy storage on your keychain, carabiner, backpack, or in your pocket.
The name of this one says it all – these earplugs provide high fidelity sound quality without damaging your hearing. With an NRR of 16 dB, the earplugs can actually reduce noise up to 21dB, should the music at the venue be that loud. They are completely transparent and have a small, elongated edge for easy removal. Naturally, they’re also made of hypoallergenic silicone, so that you can wear them for hours on end regardless of how sensitive your skin is. The Eargasms also come with a compact aluminum case for storage.
7. Toennesen Foam Earplugs
- toennesen earplugs offer excellent hearing protection and comfort throughout the day.
- Made from a foam that absorbs the energy absorbing foam, which will not pressure to your ears, Made from polymer energy.
- Reusable and moisture resistant, the slow increase.
- Safety conformity to EU standards, in line with other personal protective equipment.
Foam earplugs are generally considered to be more effective than silicone ones when it comes to frequency filtering. However, it does come with quite a few disadvantages – including muffed sound and a rather uncomfortable wearing. However, there are people who prefer foam earplugs – mainly for their high NRR. These Toennesen ones have an NRR of 32dB. Not only is this enough for live venues – they’re fit for construction work, motorcycling, and other loud activities/environments. They’re cheap, and they come in a pack of 10 – what else could you wish for? If you have very sensitive ears, you should probably stick with foam earplugs.
8. Decibullz – Custom Molded Percussive Filters
- PROTECTION: The top-rated Decibullz custom mouldable impulse filters, with superior percussive filter technology protects your hearing from the peak sound pressures created by gunshots, artillery fire and explosions while allowing voice and ambient noise to be heard when no damaging noise is present. No batteries are required and the filters are ANSI IPIL certified up to 166 dB.
- CUSTOM EARPLUG FILTERS: The Decibullz custom moulded percussive ear filters are quickly fitted to the exact shape of your ears creating a perfect fitting earplug that won’t fall out or hurt all while providing superior noise isolation.
- EASY SHAPE SYSTEM: Re-mouldable time and time again, simply heat the Decibullz thermoplastic moulds in boiling water, let them cool for a bit and easily shape them to each ear. Repeat if necessary to get your perfect fit.
- USES: These custom moulded percussive filter technology earplugs are ideal for shooting, hunting, and military applications including artillery fire, explosions and more.
The Decibullz are custom molded earplugs – meaning they come with a foam muff that adjusts to the shape of your ear canal, ensuring a perfect fit. However, as opposed to regular foam plugs, these ones do have a frequency filter built into them, so that the sound quality is not compromised. One thing the Decibullz have in common with foam plugs is the NRR – which goes up to 31dB. Grace to the foam muff, the sound insulation is higher than that of silicone plugs, allowing for not only live venue use, but also for work, swimming, and even shooting. The Decibullz are available in several colors (the design is pretty noticeable when worn).
These would be our top recommendations when it comes to DJ earplugs. All of these have been designed specifically for club or festival use, which means they will still let you hear that sick beat while protecting your eardrums from permanent damage. However, there are a couple dilemmas going on in the DJ community when it comes to earplugs…
Are you supposed to wear them when mixing, or just when on the other side of the DJ table?
There is no right answer to this question, and it’s up to you to decide whether to wear your earplugs when mixing or not. If you invested in a decent pair of DJ headphones that completely isolate the outside noise, you shouldn’t need earplugs. However, you should be wary of the volume and frequencies you hear inside your headphones as well, especially if your set lasts for a long time. You can, of course, wear earplugs and DJ headphones together, but you will need louder headphones, and perhaps even have to play with the EQ a bit to make sure you’re hearing every single frequency for the mix.
In the end, there really is no right answer to this question. However, if you intend to stay in the DJ scene for as long as you can, protecting your hearing is your top priority, so go ahead and wear those earplugs with your headphones.
Foam vs Silicone
Lately we’ve witnessed a boom of silicone earplugs on the market. And it’s probably because they are discreet, comfortable, and very efficient in isolating dangerous frequencies without compromising sound quality. However, silicone plugs can only go up to a 24dB NRR, due to the nature of the material. If your ears are extremely sensitive, foam would probably be a better choice, as it has a much higher NRR, usually up to 32dB. On the other hand, foam is less comfortable, and usually noticeable – so it’s up to you to decide what is more important for you.
Standard vs Custom
Standard vs custom made earplugs is another debated topic. Sure, custom-made ones will feel more comfortable in your ear (as they are literally modeled after your ear canal), but they are much more expensive than standard models, and they don’t make that much of a difference in terms of sound isolation. What’s more, custom-made earplugs are usually pretty visible in your ear, which is not always a look we DJs are going for. On the other hand, regular earplugs are made to fit most ears, which means some might not be the most comfortable thing to wear for hours on end, but they are much cheaper and widely available. They also do their job of keeping dangerous frequencies away just as well as custom earplugs.
Earplugs are very simple devices, and they’re usually designed to be as subtle as possible. However, the subtler (aka smaller) the earplugs, the easier it is to lose it in a dark venue, especially after a couple of drinks. And while that’s hardly a problem with one-use foam plugs, losing some $200 custom-made ones can be quite annoying. If there’s one advice you should take from this article, it’s this one – look for earplugs with some kind of wire or string connecting them. Besides being much harder to lose, connected earplugs can also be worn around your neck if you decide to take them off when mixing, and put back in when you’re done. It’s also great if your plugs come with a convenient case – this way you won’t have to worry about losing them at home or on the road either.
Are electronic earplugs worth the money?
This depends on a couple of aspects. For one, it’s how much time you spend in clubs – if it’s a couple hours per night, two days a week, we’d say no. However, if you’re serious about pursuing a pro DJ career and you intend to play at the venue more than 4 days a week, you should probably splurge. As we said at the top of this article, hearing is the most important tool for a DJ. No mixer, controller, or software can save your career if your hearing isn’t what it used to be due to constant exposure to loud music over the years. Think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime investment, and remember that your health is always the top priority.
There goes everything we could think of regarding DJ earplugs – from the most common types, to the advantages and disadvantages of each of them. Make sure you always have a pair of earplugs with you when going to work, or just casually hitting the club on a Saturday night. Remember – hearing damage is permanent and you don’t want to risk your potential pro DJ career!
Product Data: Last update was on 2024-02-23 / #ad / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API